Beneath the surface in Ukraine
In the midst of the Carpathian highlands an independent ethnocultural group resides, the Hutsuls. Come into contact with the backbone of Ukraine, learning about folklore and their unique archaic traditions such as egg planting and cheese making! See community-driven initiatives, meet with an organic farmer, participate in ancient craft creation and explore the vibrant cosmopolitan hubs of Kyiv and Lviv.
Over the ridges of the green pearl of Ukraine, lays shepherd settlers and timeless traditions. The Carpathian mountain range is home to untouched regions since the pre-Soviet war. Unlike its urban neighbours, many residents commute via horse and cart. It’s as if you’ve stepped back in time!
The mesmerising nature of Ukraine does not just remain in the Carpathians, it continues on into its capital. A multitude of green spaces reside in Kyiv with over 100 parks and also one of the biggest rivers in Europe, the Dnieper. As well as nearby farms on its outskirts sustaining traditional organic agricultural practices.
Calmly connect with locals of the Carpathians whilst hiking in between villages uncovering ancient traditions and meeting gifted artisans. Become acquainted with a local organic farmer and nature specialist in Kyiv, informing you about the environmental challenges the farms and cities face. Whilst being brought back to Ukraine’s modern-day history visiting the Chernobyl museum and the UNESCO heritage sites of Kyiv and Lviv.
- Guided tour by a local around Kyiv’s major landmarks and attractions
- Visit National Chernobyl Museum
- Traditional village experience in Horodske
- Eco-walk with a nature specialist
- Visit a local family in Lviv and enjoy homemade dishes
- Masterclass with a Hutsul artisan
- Short hike to the highlander’s hut
- Witness old traditions of Hutsul shepherds
- Preparing a traditional Hutsul dinner
- Visit with artisans learning about wool weaving, wood carving and pottery
Interested? Enquire with us today. Want to know more? Click on the trip plan above for further information!
Day 1: Welcome to Kyiv!
● Airport Transfer
● Local guide around Kyiv
Day 2: Step back in time visiting a rural village
● Village visit to Hordoske
● Tour of farm
Day 3: Explore the natural side of Kyiv
This afternoon, you will transfer to the charming city of Lviv.
● Eco walk with nature specialist guide
● Transfer to Lviv
Day 4: Wander around the coffee capital, Lviv
● Lunch at a local family home
Day 5: Become acquainted with Kolomyia the town of Hutsuls
Later, transfer to the village of Kosmach in the Carpathian Mountains. Spend your afternoon visiting a famous Hutsul artisan, skilled in traditional egg planting, observe her work and enjoy her beautiful creations.
After this, participate in a master class and paint your own easter egg.
● Scenic train journey
● Visit to Hutsul Cultural Museum
● Master class with a Hutsul artisan
Day 6: Encounter with the Hutsuls
Day 7: Get creative with crafts
- Artisan visit
- Overnight train to Kyiv
Day 8: Say your goodbyes
- Transfer to airport
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.